After many years as a teacher,
latterly deputy head of a large inner-city comprehensive in
Leeds, I first started working as poet and performer in
1996, and then ran a reading and writing development course
Grassroots, in conjunction with Leeds Libraries in 1997/8.
After that I spent three years as Reader in Residence for
Kirklees Libraries, setting up reading groups and managing
events in libraries throughout Kirklees. I have been a
leader of literature development in the region for many
- I am a poet and performer with a growing reputation
throughout the North and the UK.
- I have experience of managing projects in education
and community, am used to leading teams, but also of
working as part of one, as follows:
- I have worked extensively at the University of
Leeds, in the School of Education, training future
English teachers in how to teach creative
- I work in primary and secondary schools
throughout the UK often in Yorkshire [and in Leeds
particularly]. I have produced many anthologies of
pupil poetry and, notably, poetry for a public art
installation in Barnsley in 2008.
- I have trained teams of English staff in
Calderdale schools to help develop writing and
reading in schools.
- I run workshops with writing groups and school
groups on poetry, memoir, short fiction, and on
- I am a presenter of large literature events,
throughout the UK particularly the Ilkley literature
Festival and Off the Shelf, Sheffield.
- I have a broad journalistic experience in writing
about the arts for Yorkshire Metro, as a book reviewer
and poetry editor for Leeds Guide, and section editor for
- MA in English Literature, Leeds University
- Advanced Diploma in Management, Sheffield
- NAWE National Association of Writers in
- NALD National Association of Literature
Deadly Sensitive (1999)
- Leeds Stories (Comma Press) July 2003, short
story, alongside Tony Harrison, Martyn Bedford and
- Stories in Naked City, Four
Fathers, Wonderwall (Route) 2004, 2005,
- Branch-lines (Enitharmon Press)
2007, poems in anthology, alongside Seamus Heaney,
Andrew Motion etc.
Bit of an Icebreaker [kindle ebook] [Valley
Things Matter: 63 sonnets [Valley Press]